Deep Water
By Kaitlin Bates
All I could see was blue. It was all over the place. I tried to breath but all that came in was water. I tried to make noise but no one heard me. I did all that I could but still no one heard me. I was drowning. That was how William O. Douglas described the main part in his short story. It was very descriptive and I really liked it. Deep Water by William O. Douglas turned out to be an exciting short story to read and I could really relate to it.
A connection I had to this story is about a dog I once had when I was 7. She was named Hannah and I loved her. She was so tiny, cute, and wonderful to cuddle with. Then, something happened. Several months after my family bought Hannah, she grew huge. She was as big as my little sister. I was very scared of her now because she got so big. One day she was horsing around and because of her size she had gotten angrier also. I was playing with her and her bone and I threw it to her and she brought it back to me. For some reason she got mad because I was tricking her with her bone and then bit my arm. I screamed and I cried for my mom. I did everything I could to stay away from Nana. We then had to give Nana away because he was just too violent. I was scared of dogs for a long time after that, but then we got a new dog. His name was Bater, and he was so nice and sweet and never bit anybody. I then, overcame my fear of dogs.
As you can see I can really relate to William O. Douglas as we had similar situations. Although, my situation wasn’t a life or death situation like his was. My story had the same concept has his though. When he fell in the water, it was really scary. When I got bit by my dog I was horrified! We both were very scared of something that happened in the past. Similar to how William was scared of water, I was scared of dogs and both incidents occurred when we were young children. We both overcame our fears which were very good. He finally got in the river water and swam for two miles. I got a dog and I wasn’t scared of him. William and I both learned very important lessons.
Deep Water was a good short story to read. I liked reading it and it was fascinating to read about the life or death experience. I can fully relate to William and his story. We had similar stories. It was a very exciting story to read. Now, I wonder if William O. Douglas has any more fascinating short stories he would like to share.
No comments:
Post a Comment