Monday, January 24, 2011

Journal Response to The Pearl

The Pearl
Dear John Steinbeck,
                There are many reasons why I am writing this letter.  My class for Language Arts read your book as a class. We then had to write something about it, so I am writing a letter to you. Your book, The Pearl was very interesting to read. I have mixed feelings about it though. At some parts I couldn’t even put your book down, but at other parts the book was very slow and not very exciting to read. I disliked a lot of things in The Pearl, though there are some things that really got my attention in your book.
To begin with, I disliked a lot of things in your book. One example is the setting. I didn’t really like the setting of the book. It seemed to old and boring to read about. If the setting would have been within the last 10 years, it would have been more interesting to me. Although, having it take place in Mexico was exciting to read about. Another example is the book was kind of boring and confusing in the beginning. If you would have put more action in the beginning more people would want to read it, rather than being forced to read it. For example, in the beginning Coyotito got bit by a snake but that was confusing because it didn’t indicate exactly that he had been bitten by a snake.  My biggest dislike though was the ending! I HATED that ending. It drove me bananas! Why did you end the book with Coyotito dyeing? Why didn’t you end it with Kino going to the capital and him selling the Pearl? I would have been happier I read that book rather than disappointed
Even though I have a lot of dislikes, I have some likes too! What I really liked was that the book kept me guessing. An example is when Kino found the pearl. I wondered what he was going to do with it. Was he going to sell it or keep it as his own?  I would always wonder what would happen next. I also liked at the end of the book, the adventure. For example I liked reading about Kino and Juana getting to the capital. That part seemed like very adventurous so I liked reading it.  The one thing I liked the most about your book was Kino finding the pearl. It was an enormous twist on the whole book. The book changed completely. For instance, one day Kino and Juana were just being their normal selves, in their hay house but then another day came and they found this magnificent pearl that could be worth millions. What a good twist!
As you can see I have some dislikes and likes about The Pearl. I liked that the book was very mysterious but I strongly disliked the ending of the book. Overall though, the book was an okay book to read. I wouldn’t have picked it myself though if I could have selected any book. However, it was a good book to read overall.

                                                                                                             Sincerely,
Kaitlin Bates  

No comments:

Post a Comment