Friday, March 2, 2012

Water, Love, and Agony

Authors Note: This is a piece about the book Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman. In this piece I am trying to improve my predicting score. With quotes and examples from the book , I explain why I think Aquamarine will fall in love with Raymond.



Imagine living in a world where you can’t be yourself in front of certain people because you’re different. You hide your true self from everyone. This situation relates to the book Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman. Aquamarine is the main character and she is in a difficult situation. She is a mermaid that’s in love with a human, and where she’s come from that’s not aloud. There are many reasons why I predict Aquamarine fell in love with Raymond even though it is forbidden.
The first reason I predict Aquamarine will fall in love with Raymond is because of the way the book describes she looks at him. By the words, I can tell Aqua is lovesick for Raymond. The specific quote that shows this is, “She gazed at him with a bewildered expression, the sure sign of mermaid in love.” (pg.34)  I believe that this quote explains that the first time she say him, it was love at first sight. The mermaid had fallen for the handsome human boy.
Although the book describing the way Aquamarine looks at Raymond, is a big reason why I predict that she is going to fall in love with him, another important reason why is the way  she was  being difficult with Claire and Haley. What I mean by this is that Aquamarine would not go anywhere until she met Raymond. She was washed up into a pool at a local beach. The girls told her she had to leave because the pool was getting drained out but she wouldn’t go anywhere. A quote that shows this is, “‘you’ll just have to go back to the ocean,’ they advised her. ‘I won’t leave before I meet him,’” (pg.36) this quote shows Aquamarine needed to see Raymond before she went back to the ocean. It was definite.
While Aquamarine being difficult with the girls is a big reason why I think Aquamarine will fall in love with Raymond, my last reason is most important. My last reason is when she goes on a date with Raymond. I think this was the actually the point where she fell in love. When she went on the date, she knew Raymond was the one. She could just tell. A quote that shows the chemistry between them is,” “Already? He says mournfully. All last night he had dreamed of the ocean, and now it seemed like he was still dreaming.’ It’s not time.’ Aquamarine insisted. ”(pg.72) This quote explains that they both fell in love at first sight and never wanted to leave each other.
As you can see all these reasons obviously explain why I think Aquamarine fell in love with Raymond. Even though, it’s forbidden in the ocean she still fell in love with a human being. I predict that they will stay together even though Aqua lives in the ocean and Raymond lives on the land. Their love will always keep them together.

 [vegacla162]Author’s Note

 [vegacla163]You might want it to be Aquamarine

 [vegacla164]I believe that ….

No comments:

Post a Comment