Authors Note: This is a short story I wrote because I needed to write a essay for my next conference. I am writing this story to improve sentence fluency. This also could be a piece that uses quotes accurately if needed.
I sneak a peek at Johnny, the best boyfriend I’ve ever had. I sigh. We can never be together now. Not after the news I got just last week. Not after everything that I’m going to go through. Why couldn’t I just be normal? Why couldn’t I have a full and fun life? Why did I … have to have cancer?
The fourth period bell rings at Johnson High and I get up to go home. I quickly walk to my convertible and grab the small, red handle to the driver seat. I was hoping to get into my car before anyone sees me; especially Johnny. Too late, he’s running right over to my car like it’s one of his track races. He grabs me by the waist and twirls me in the air. I smile as he does this. I lean back into his strong muscular body.
“Amber, why can’t we be together?” He whispers softly into my ear.
I tear up ready to cry any second. “Johnny, I already told you, I can’t tell you.” He lets go of my waist and I look up at him.
He has a frown on his face. “Is it because I’m ugly? Is that it,” he says accusingly.
“No,” I say softly.
“Amber, you’re the most beautiful girl in the world. You’re funny, out-going, and the most special person I have ever met in my life. Why can’t we be together? ”
This time, the tears come, hard. “Let me drive you home,” he whispers in my ear with his arms around my waist again.
“Okay,” I barely get out because of my crying.
We climb into Johnny‘s truck and he opens the passenger door for me. He’s so special. I think to myself; I’m going to miss him so much. We drive to my house in silence. Johnny pulls into my driveway and he puts the car in park.
“Thanks for the ride,” I say plainly, while I grab the handle to get out of the
car.
“Wait,” Johnny mutters holding onto my arm. “Amber, I know you. I’ve known you since fifth grade. I know when something’s bothering you. Tell me,” he says looking right into my eyes.
“Johnny you’re my boyfriend, and I love you, but if I tell you, you won’t love me,” I say with tears prickling down my cheeks.
“Amber, you know that’s not true one bit,” he states.
“I can’t tell you now, but I you will find out soon enough,” I utter.
And with that, I climb out of his old, blue, beat up truck and walk into my house without saying another word to Johnny.
The next day at school is a blur. Johnny wasn’t there so I was kind of happy. He was getting irritating asking me all those questions about what’s wrong. I know it sounds stupid that I’m not even telling my own boyfriend but there are reasons. For example, when I lose all my hair I won’t look pretty. I’ll look ugly and he’ll never like me. Then I’ll be hooked up to all these tubes in the hospital for a few weeks, the doctors say. And I don’t want him to be with me for sympathy. I can’t do that. I can already feel the pain. It’s small, but I know it’s there. If I do die, I want to spend my last moments with him. The doctors don’t know if or when I might die. They just don’t know. They want me to live a full life until all the pain starts kicking in. That’s why I’m not telling Johnny. He would never love me.
As the fourth period bell rings, I scamper out to my convertible. I drive home in complete quietness. I usually crank up my favorite country songs when I’m in my car but today, I’m not in the mood. When I get home there is a surprise waiting for me. But it wasn’t a good surprise that you would want. I opened the front door and walked into my living room; where I usually go right after school. When I walked in I found Johnny, my mom, and my dad all sitting on my couch. I stood there, stunned. This is where Johnny has been all day.
“Honey, we need to talk, all of us,” my dad says to me quietly.
”Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute. Okay first of all, what is Johnny doing here? Second of all what are you guys talking about?” I ask.
Johnny looks up at me with a face I’ve never seen before. It’s a mix of sadness and confusion. “You have cancer?” he says quietly still looking at me.
He’s about to cry. I’m about to cry. “YOU TOLD HIM???” I scream to my mom and dad. I’M GOING TO HAVE A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN. My mom squints at me.
“There was nothing we couldn’t tell him! He came to us and asked us what was wrong with you! Of course we told him! You should have told him! He’s your boyfriend.” My mom is out of control.
Why did she tell him? I could have done it! No maybe, I wouldn’t have. I need to sit down. NOW! I rest my self on the chair farthest from my boyfriend and my family. I didn’t want to look at them. I had a mix of emotions inside of me. I was angry at my parents for telling Johnny, although I was sad, because this was not what I wanted to spend the last few months of my life like.
“You could have told me Amber, I understand. I truly do. I’m here for you no matter what. I’ll be with you every step of the way, okay? You know that don’t you?” He questions me.
Okay, now the tears come. I didn’t cry once today but now here they come. First, they start sprinkling down my cheek. But then they start getting heavier. Johnny comes over to me and hugs me. I don’t even care that my parents are here and it’s really awkward. I just want to be with Johnny.
My mom and dad get up and walk into the kitchen “We’ll give you guys some privacy,” my dad says plainly. Gee, thanks dad.
Johnny lowers himself to the ground with his big, strong, tan muscles. “Talk to me Amber,” he says. I look into his sky blue eyes and then take a huge breath.
”Okay, they’re telling the truth. I do have cancer but there reasons I didn’t tell you….” I say looking down at Johnny.
“Why wouldn’t you tell me? Amber, I love you no matter what. I don’t care if your hair gonna fall out and your skin’s gonna turn yellow or whatever. You’re still going to be the most beautiful girl in this world,” he says to me looking into my eyes.
I get onto the floor next to him and he cradles me in his arm. I wish I could just stay like this. Forever. And just like that, I noticed how tired I was and fell asleep in Johnny’s arms.
When I woke up I was on my couch. Johnny must have put me on it. How sweet. He’s so strong, so handsome, and so nice. Why did I deserve someone like him? I have cancer for goodness sake. I stop thinking about that topic and check my cell phone for the time. 5:37 pm it says. Hmm. I’ve been asleep for about two hours. I get up and walk into the kitchen to find my mom making spaghetti; my favorite.
“Hi!” She says with a little too much enthusiasm in her voice.
“Hey,” I say sleepily.
“I’m making spaghetti! Your favorite!” my mom says with a big toothy grin on her face.
“Whoop-die-do,” I say and then start setting the table.
We eat dinner talking about everything except my cancer issue. I can’t stand it anymore. They’re avoiding it like avoiding a deer on the road.
“Mom, dad, we need to talk about what’s going to happen to me. Right now.” My dad puts his fork down and looks at me.
My mom places her napkin on her lap and plays with it avoiding eye contact. “Okay sweetie, you’re going to the doctor tomorrow to do some new tests; just to make sure of some things,” my dad declares smiling at me.
“Um, okay but since I’m not going to live until-
My mom cuts me off. “Don’t say that!” My mom sternly says with tears in her eyes.
“Okay okay but mom, I want to spend a lot of time with Johnny and you guys for my lasts few weeks,” I say defensively.
“Honey, you are going to spend a lot of time in the hospital, you know that don’t you?” My mom says.
”Yes,” I say. “But I still want to do stuff I will never get to do again in my life.” “Okay” My mom says. So that’s what Johnny and I did.
The doctors said I had two weeks to live. It’s scaring when you know you’re going to die. I don’t want to die but I’m trying to make the most of it. Johnny and I plan to skip school this week and do whatever we wanted (parents approved). The first day of the week we go to the city, (Chicago), and window shop until were beat. We get a bite for lunch though when we were there I ate the best pizza I’ve ever had. I mean, it was beyond amazing. Something I am terribly going to miss, for sure. The second day we go swimming at the beach. It was so romantic. I was in my neon pink bikini with my golden-brown hair in a high ponytail. Johnny had on black swim trucks with surf boards on it and his tan chest bare. I always wanted to learn how to surf, but I couldn’t do that anymore. The third day, Johnny took me to my favorite place in whole world; the mall. We shopped until we dropped; literally. Johnny dropped one of my bags he was carrying for me down the escalators! It was hilarious. Johnny carried everything I wanted to be carried and even paid for all of it. He is such a gentleman. I’m going to miss him so much. Every time he looked at me he smiled but I could see the sadness in his eyes. I love him, I truly do. I wish I could be with him forever.
The fourth day of the fabulous week was amazing. I never would have guessed where Johnny would have taken me but he did! The beginning of the day started with Johnny driving me to a private airport and then these two guys came out and told us to put parachutes on. We were going sky diving! It was a breath-taking experience. When we got up into the plane and the instructor told us to jump, I was ready. I held Johnny’s hand and we jumped together. We both screamed at the top of our lungs but we did it. We unlatched our parachutes and softly went back to the ground together. I was crying by the time I was on the ground. It was a mix of fright and happiness. I loved it. The fifth day though, was the best day of my life. And I’m not exaggerating. I couldn’t believe where we went. We went to Paris; the most romantic city in the world. I was blown away. I woke up the fifth morning wondering what Johnny planned to do for that day. I just thought were going to New York City or something because he said we were traveling somewhere but this was so different! It was a seven hour flight but it wasn’t that long thanks to first-class seats Johnny got us. When we got to Paris, we went sight-seeing. First, we went to the Eiffel Tower. It was the most romantic building I’ve ever been on. When were at the top, he of course kissed me, but then he whispered
“Were on the top of the world.” I smiled wide then.
He was so cute. Next we went on a tour bus to see the whole city. It was a remarkable. I loved every second of it. I never wanted to leave.
When we got back home on Saturday, it was time for me to go to the hospital again for some tests. When we got there, they said I have to stay there until next Saturday, the day they predict I will die. I scared. I cried every night when I went to sleep. I’m going to miss my parents so much. I’ve been spending my nights with my parents. We haven’t done anything exciting but just some good old family time, which I needed. When the doctors tell me I need to stay until Saturday, Johnny says to me
“I’ll be here every day until Saturday, I promise.” Then he kisses my hand.
I’m shaking, and he can tell. The doctors show us to a room that has one hospital bed and a TV. I’m scared. I’m frightened. I’m confused. I never did anything wrong. I don’t smoke and I don’t do drugs. Why is this happening to me? I started bawling then. My parents came into the room and held onto me, so did Johnny. I don’t want my life to go away. I want to stay here, on Earth; I’m not done living life. The tears keep coming. They won’t stop, which makes me ever more frustrated.
“I need some time alone,” I say to everybody.
I run my hand through my hair, well what’s left of it anyway, and pull out a bunch of hair while I do this. I look at the hair and start to bawl again. “WHY?” I shout to the ceiling. “WHY ME?” I shout again. I curl up into a ball and cry some more.
I cry because of the pain in me, because of my appearance, and because of God giving me cancer. I don’t know how many hours I cried but eventually I drifted off into a deep sleep.
When I woke up the T.V was on the ESPN channel and Johnny was sitting in a blue chair that didn’t look that comfortable. He looked like he was asleep but I really couldn’t tell due to the angle he was sitting at.
“Johnny?” I say quietly because of the pain in my body makes my throat hurt.
He jerks up and looks at me with a twinkle in his left eye.
“Oh hey, sorry I was like umm...” He mutters nervously.
“Sleeping?” I say with a giggle.
Johnny has a grin on his face. “Hey! Don’t tease me because I’m tired. We’ve both have had a long week.” He comes over to me and tickles me.
“STOP!!” I scream while I laugh at the same time.
“Ha-ha! I got you now!” he says grabbing my tiny waist. He pulls me into a big strong hug. I take this moment in like it’s the last moment of my life. I pull back and cutely say, “You’re so charming.” He sets me down and smiles at me. “What?” I say instantly remembering that I barely have hair, have no makeup on, and am in a hospital gown. You’re so beautiful, be right back,” He replies, and runs to the hospital lobby. He is the one; I think to myself. He called me beautiful when I have barely any hair. He comes back three minutes later, (yes I was counting) with a big banquet of roses, pink roses to be exact; my favorite.
“These are for you,” he says with that sparkle in his left eye again. “I had them deliver them when you were asleep and had the nurses keep them in the lobby.” He sets them down on the table next to my bed and pulls out a rose from the banquet and hands it to me. I smile; speechless, thinking of what to say. Of course the simpliest thing comes to my mind.
“Thank you, Johnny,” I pull him into another hug smelling that expensive cologne he puts on every day.
He kisses me softly on the lips and goes back to his chair. We talk for about three hours occasionally getting interrupted by annoying nurses. (Food, medicine, checkups,etc). At about eleven pm. Johnny says he should be getting home. We kiss each other softly goodbye and then he leaves.
The next few days feel like the longest days of my life. I’ve never just sat in a bed all day watching T.V. I am more of the outdoorsy type. Well, I was anyway. Johnny has been coming everyday and entertaining me though. We talk for hours and do fun things. He brings in his guitar and sings songs to me, he draws pictures and me, and we play board games they have in the hospital lobby. You wouldn’t think it would be fun but it is, all thanks to Johnny. When I have a pain in my body and nurses come rushing in like any second I’m going to die. Which could happen but I’m going by what my doctor said; Saturday, it’s Friday.
It’s funny, you don’t think of dying as a normal person but I certainly do. I scared of it. I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m hooked up to a bunch of tubes and hospital things. One tube is in my nose and it constantly itches. I hate it. I hate all these tubes. I hate this place. I wish I wasn’t here. As I was being very negative toward myself Johnny walks in with a white t-shirt on, plain blue jeans, and his brown hair shagging around his face.
“Hi,” I say almost too eagerly.
“Hey,” He says quietly not like his usual self.
“What’s wrong?” I question knowing something’s up.
“Just thinking’ He says with his hand on his chin.
“Okay,” I say quietly settling back onto my hospital bed.
We sit in silence for what seems like hours but it was really just ten minutes. Johnny speaks up first.
“Amber. I love you, you know that right.”
I laugh. “Yes,” I say with a smile across my face. “You’ve told me constantly.”
He smiles that broad smile with his perfect white teeth.
“Good.” He says standing up and comes kisses me.
“Goodbye,” He says softly against my lips. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” He says gently. “Okay,” I say, “Goodbye, I love you,” I whisper, wanting to kiss him again. “I love you too.”
And with those lasts words, it was the last time I ever saw Johnny again.
I woke up with pain in my body; all over. My mom and dad were in my room sleeping on the pull-out couch. Of course they stayed. I could die any second. I stop thinking about dying and try to get back to sleep. I can’t though, it’s impossible. I sit up straight thinking about Johnny. He’s the most wonderful guy I ever had in my life. Words can’t even describe him. I didn’t want to leave him. I lay my head back on the hospital bed and somehow get to sleep for a couple hours.
When I wake up my mom and dad were staring at the T.V with their face all red from crying.
“What’s wrong?” I question them. I have pain in my stomach. I’m going to die. I feel like I’m going to die. They look over at me and then glace back at each other.
“Johnny’s dead.” My dad whispers. “He killed himself for you.”
I sit there speechless staring at them and just like that, I faint.
I wake up to doctors all around me. They tell me I fainted due to low blood production in my body and the cells in my body not working right. Everyone’s so blurry. I bet there are ten nurses around me right now. I look over at my left side and see both my parents clutching my hand crying.
“You’re going to be okay” They say bawling. “Don’t leave us Amber.”
I close my eyes ready to fall in a deep sleep any minute. I didn’t even know they were touching my hand. I was numb all over. I hear the doctor say ‘Were going to put her on life-support.” I see my parents nod their heads.
“No,” I mumble. The doctors stare at me. The pains too much, it’s my time to go, I know it. I can’t live like this. “It’s okay,’ I say to my parents. “I’m going to be okay I promise. I love you.”
And with those last words, I close my eyes and see Johnny. There’s light behind him. He reaches his hand out to me and I take it. Hand in hand we walk into the light together and ready for anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment